Tuesday, September 18, 2012

There Are Burgers...And Then There is This!


Quinoa Sirloin Burger

This is technically day two of my new "diet." Ok, now I HATE the word "diet" because people always attach a negative connotation as being deprived of food. And not just any food, but great tasting food. Im here to change that right now! Loosing weight can be just as tasty than when Im not dieting, and here is the proof! I just made the most yummilicous burger that got me up off the couch excited! 

And in the spirit of sharing all of my yummy recipes with you, here is another to add to the list. Not only is it good, but its also good for you ;)

My Quinoa Sirloin Burger with Grilled Veggies

Cook one cup of quinoa according to package directions using chicken stock. Add garlic and a bay leaf into the broth. You will have to strain at the end of cooking to ensure you do not cook the quinoa into mush :)

For the Grilled Veggies:

Half a red onion cut into rings
Red and Yellow bell pepper strips
Sliced Mushrooms
Basil Pesto

Combine all veggies and toss with pesto. Let sit in the refrigerator for about 30 mins.

For the Burger:

1 lb ground sirloin
2 tbs chopped parsley
paprika
mustard powder
1 clove minced garlic

Combine a cup of the cooked quinoa with the sirloin along with the rest of the ingredients. Form into four patties, salt and pepper both sides, and grill until desired doneness.
*halve cherry tomatoes and grill to add some nice sweetness to your burger*

Now there is a magnificent sauce that goes with this that I HAVE to share. It has the creaminess of mayo and the tanginess of goat cheese, but doesnt contain either one! And its delicious!

For the Sauce:

1/2 cup plain Greek Yogurt
half a dill pickle minced
fresh chives
fresh dill
1 tbs grainy dijon mustard
lemon juice and zest
a shot of hot sauce if you dare :)
salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients for at least an hour. Spread on desired bun of choice and enjoy.

Now when I constructed mine as shown in the picture, I decided to make it an open face burger. (I just really wanted to cut calories where I could)

I toasted a piece of fresh olive bread and spread it with my "mayo" mixture. I topped that with baby greens, and then my sirloin patty. Atop of that I stacked the grilled veggies and a few pieces of blue cheese (because I always feel blue cheese goes great with steak, and we ARE eating sirloin after all :) :) ) I placed my grilled cherry tomatoes on the side so I could add them as I please.

I hope for those of you who try this recipe that you love it as much as I just did!

No comments:

Post a Comment